Green Beans with Spring Onions

I'm always on a mission when I have spring onions in my house. I love them, and yet I never know how to use them up. When I used to eat tuna, I'd make tuna sandwiches with them (because tuna sandwiches simply aren't right unless they have onion in them), but that doesn't help me much anymore. When I have some extra tofu on hand, I make faux egg salad with them, but that lasts forever and hardly uses any onion. And in a pinch, I just chew them straight, like I used to chew on chive greens straight out of my mother's garden. But then, it does make it somewhat challenging to find someone who's willing to deal with your breath after that...

So my latest tactic is simple: sauté them. Just sauté them with other delicious vegetables and eat them straight-up. Here's my favourite combination, but let's be honest: you could probably use anything in the place of beans and still have a delicious nibble.

I mean, these are onions we're talking about. How can you go wrong?


Green Beans with Spring Onions
Makes 2 large servings

1-2 Tablespoons Earth Balance margarine
1/2 lb (large handful) green beans
4 or 5 spring onions, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Trim the beans and cut them into 1.5" lengths (about thirds or quarters). Melt a Tablespoon of margarine in a skillet and add the onions and beans, stir-frying them until the onions are translucent and the beans are getting bright green in colour and softening a little. If the pan gets too dry, add another Tablespoon of Earth Balance to the pan. Mix in salt and pepper to taste and sauté 30 seconds longer. Serve nice and hot!

Comments